Thursday, March 12, 2009

Installing SNetTerm on Debian Etch

My employer writes customs brokerage software that takes advantage of many features in the ssh client SNetTerm. As a result, we recommend it to our clients, despite development done under Linux.

I have been asked to get this software running under Linux. My goal today is to have SNetTerm running under Debian Etch, so as to avoid to the need for Windows licenses for our development team in the future.

My initial guess is that this can be done under Wine.

Booted up a virtual machine using Sun VirtualBox and installed Debian Etch.

Update the repository: sudo apt-get update
Upgrade the system: sudo apt-get upgrade

I tried installing the latest version located in the repository but this didn't want to execute with the wine command. I tried both the installer and the binary from a folder of the installed client from a Windows machine. No luck.

Went to winehq and downloaded the latest version for etch.

Tells me I need new headers. Okay then.

Install the latest linux headers
Install the latest g++ compiler

Looks good, I try the installer again. Nice. Next next next next...

Seemed everything installed properly. Let's try running that desktop icon.

I get an error looking for tapi32.dll

Ok, found the dll at dlldump.com - and I copied it to wine's system32 directory. However, this time I run the program, I get no error message and no SNet Term.